AFM ® ACTIVATED FILTER MEDIA
What is AFM ® ?
AFM ® Activated Filter Media is a direct replacement for sand, doubling the performance of sandfilters without the need of additional investments in infrastructure. AFM ® resists biofouling, biocoagulation and transient wormhole channeling of unfiltered water and never needs to be recharged or replaced.
AFM ® is a highly engineered product manufactured from a specific glass type, processed to obtain the optimum particle size and shape. It is then exposed to a 3-step activation process to increase its surface area by up to 300 times for superior mechanical and electro-static filtration performance.
AFM ® benefits at a glance
• more than doubles the performance of an existing filtration system
• is not subject to biodynamic instability and will never allow untreated water to pass
• substantially lowers chlorine oxidation demand
• lowers backwash water demand by an average of 50%
• is expected to last for the life of the filtration system
• provides quick return on investment
What makes AFM ® so effective?
1. Clean, carefully selected glass
AFM ® is only made from pure green and brown glass which have the necessary metal oxides to help make AFM ® self-sterilizing.
2. Ideal hydraulic properties
The raw material is ground into the optimal grain size and shape that is crucial for the outstanding hydraulic characteristics of AFM ® . No dangerous glass splinters are allowed to be present in the filter material. Our manufacturing process is ISO certified.
3. Activation process
The AFM ® activation process creates a mesoporous structure with a huge catalytic surface area. Sand has a surface area of 3,000 m 2 per m 3 but AFM ® has a surface area up to 300 times greater for adsorption and catalytic reactions. Hydroxyl groups on the surface give AFM ® a strong negative charge, known as the zeta potential, that attracts heavy metals and organic molecules. In the presence of small amounts of oxygen or oxidising agents, the catalytic surface generates free radicals that make AFM ® self-sterilizing.